Wednesday 15 June 2011

Grow up, Mr Clarkson!

I used to be a fan of Jeremy Clarkson and, years ago, enjoyed Top Gear when they were sensible and talked about sensible things, and cars to which the average person could aspire.




A couple of nights ago I saw they were talking about the Reliant Robin - in my student and early teaching days I had a few of these, for their economy, and, initially the fact that they could be driven on a motorcycle licence!




I was horrified to see Clarkson manage to turn over his Robin virtually every few seconds, I know with three wheels there is a stability problem, but if you're aware of this, then there is no real problem. He set out deliberately to turn the car over at every opportunity, simply because he though it was funny. Well, I expect those few owners still enjoying the little car weren't so amused. The fact that he took every single corner so fast simply attests to his POOR driving, not an inherent design fault! Interestingly, despite being upended numerous times, the poor little car still kept going - and, I see that the Reliant Robin is involved in the fewest accidents today - of course, as the paper said, most of its owners are very old, but they're careful!




He also seemed to derive great delight in burning the rubber off the rear tyres of a new Bentley Sport Coupe - wasn't that clever - he's lucky enough to be able to afford one, let alone get one free to abuse!

I only wished he'd done himself some real damage, as I find hos over-inflated ego just too much.



And, while on that tack, I find his side-kick, Richard Hammond, equally as objectionable - rubbishing family cars which most people have to save up for - I just wish that perhaps that crash he had, had been more conclusive, and we wouldn't have to stick his childish prattle!



The same time, I saw the other member of the team, James, present a programme where he succeeded in running a model train between Bideford and Barnstaple - he came over so much better, so less arrogant, so much more mature - I suggest he leaves these other two buffoons to get on with Top Gear - it does him no favours in the credibility stakes!


Why don't Clarkson and Hammond just grow up!!






Blog Archive