Thursday 29 October 2009

Our new 'bird' - from the Schwarzwald via Warrington!


Mum always liked the idea of a cuckoo clock, and when I was in Luzern, Switzerland, on a European holiday some 15 years ago, I bought one there, and she was delighted.

Unfortunately they don't last for ever, and ours was beginning to fail, and they're not the sort of thing that every clock dealer has numerous examples of on display.

We wanted to find one that looked very similar, played tunes on the hour and half-hour. We found an excellent online selection at Diamond Sundial of Warrington, Cheshire, and ordered one. It was very promptly dispatched and the service from them was excellent and highly recommended, if you're looking for one.

I knew nothing about cuckoo clocks, but looked up our new one online. It's made by Anton Schneider in the Black Forest, Germany. They have a fascinating website, and there are literally hundreds of different ones to choose from.

People who know me will confirm that I love Germany, German, and all things German, especially my BMW! I decided to write a short email to the Schneider firm just to say how much we liked their product. Well, first thing the next day I got a most friendly reply back from their Managing Director, Andreas Wildpreth. Now that's German efficiency for you!

Mum loved to hear the cuckoo chime, and although she passed away back in 2004, it always reminded us of her. Now we have a new one, which will do the same, and hopefully last as long, or even longer than its predecessor!

Blog Archive