Sunday 12 September 2010

Simon gets his come-uppence!

Perhaps it's because I was too many years as a schoolteacher, but some kids on TV can really get up my nose!

I know everyone else probably thinks that Simon Barlow in Coronation Street is such a dear little chap, but frankly I can't stick his precocious nature, and the way he constantly backchats his 'parents'.

The problem, I know, stems from the fact that, whilst he is supposed to be 6 years old, the actor is actually 8, and so often scriptwriters fall into the trap of putting words in the mouth of a child that would rarely, if ever, be heard from one in real life of the same age. A classic example is an advert for the Sun, where a ginger-haired kind, probably about 11 years old, exhorts us to 'Forget about our cynicism..........' - God, I don't suppose most people can actually define the word, let alone today's kids - it's just so fake.

Anyway, I'm so pleased that Simon has eventually owned up for pushing Dev's kid, causing the skull fracture and Social Services to take Dev and Sunita's kids away from them temporarily. You can see he's a spiteful little brat, and I'm glad everything's come out in the open. He's just got one of those faces that winds me up - perhaps it's all that curly hair and I'm just insanely jealous!

But, of course, it's not even real, and they're all just actors - so why am I getting so wound up about it all!

Blog Archive